Bobby Cramer: 'Kasky began a group text with a few friends that has since ballooned to include as many as 19 participants. Someone built a website, while another person designed a logo. “I’ve been there [in the group chat] since basically hour one,” said Whitney. “Cameron just felt really inclined to make a specific movement. You can’t just make change. You have to be organized.”'
Conservative neo-fascists are terrified of these students, and try to smear and minimize them at every opportunity.
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Televangelist Billy Graham is dead. As the man who helped paste the face of the Xian God onto institutional racism, thus justifying thousands of deaths, spreading his homophobic bile to developing nations, I am definitely not sorry to see him go. And as a pagan, I'm not surprised he's considered welcome to the Xian Heaven instead of roasting in eternal torment as he deserves. This world is a slightly better place with him gone.
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Bobby Cramer: Washington Post: 'The White House was under siege.
Domestic abuse allegations against a senior aide were ignored, pointing to a potential high-level coverup. Two Cabinet secretaries were caught charging taxpayers for luxury travel. A Playboy centerfold alleged an extramarital affair with the president. And the special counsel’s Russia investigation was intensifying. The tumult was so intense that there was fervent speculation that President Trump might fire his chief of staff.
But a gun massacre at a Florida high school last Wednesday, which left 17 dead, seemed to shift the media glare away from the Trump scandals and gave embattled aides an opportunity to refocus on handling a crisis not of their own making. While the White House mourned the loss of life in Parkland, Fla., some aides privately acknowledged that the tragedy offered a breather from the political storm.
Bobby Cramer: 'I have resolved to ask every elected official running for office from here on out, regardless of party and regardless of office, how much money they’ve received from the NRA or any other gun lobby. Then smile and patiently wait for their answer. / It’s a simple question, really, and they should know the answer. And it should be a matter of public record so if they fudge, we can pull it up and tell them how much they’ve gotten from them. Then ask them what they plan to do with it.'
Thursday, November 16, 2017
I like how people say if I can't respect the 45, then respect the office of the POTUS. I respond, "Why? You elected Trump as president, knowing full well he was unfit, and you didn't care. How is that respecting the office?"
Saturday, November 11, 2017
From Indivisible.org, how big data is being used for voter suppression--and how inept the oppressors are with sensitive information:
On October 23, a story broke in Mother Jones, ProPublica, and Think Progress that caused a big stir in voting rights circles. A group of citizens in Illinois had discovered some smoking-gun evidence that the problematic Interstate Crosscheck program had some major security issues—and that key people knew about them.
WHAT DID YOU GUYS DISCOVER? COULD YOU WALK US THROUGH THE SECURITY PROBLEMS YOU FOUND?
- Within the past two weeks we discovered massive security failures in the Crosscheck program and in how the Illinois State Board of Elections (SBE) handles voter data.
- We sent Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to Illinois and other states for information about the program. We were startled by what we got back.
- For starters, we received multiple usernames and passwords that election officials use to log in to voter data and Crosscheck systems.
- The primary problem here is not that we have these passwords, but that the records show that every official and IT department involved in this process has been sending those usernames, login passwords, and decryption passwords in clear text in regular old emails—sometimes on chains with up to eighty recipients. Those are really bad security practices, even under normal circumstances. Anyone could have these passwords, and they could have been used while the election officials would have been none the wiser.
- In addition, Crosscheck asks states to upload their entire voter file to a server that does not use any encryption protocols. This means that every state’s username and password to this central server housing 100 million voter records is sent in clear text across the Internet.
- Even worse: even after there was an unprecedented rash of hacks against voter registration systems in 2016, Crosscheck and the twenty-eight participating states changed nothing and continued their poor security practices in 2017.
- In addition to these technical issues, we also exposed another flaw: if we can get information about thousands of voters through FOIA requests this way, other people can too. For example, we have about 1,000 Kansans voter information plus the last four digits of their social security number thanks to Florida. It appears that voter data sent to Crosscheck is then susceptible to open records requests in other states.
As someone who has helped create and maintain databases for technical development and manufacturing, this reveals how the custodians of this personal data don't understand what they are doing, don't trust the procedures they've implemented, don't trust each other in maintaining the information records, and simply don't care about the personal information in their care and custody.
Thursday, November 9, 2017
So much criticism of Liberalism posits that the idea of social and cultural progress at the expense of tradition is balloon-juice at best, hedonism at worst. At the heart of this critique is the (often unspoken) catechism "we have to live in the real world" usually expressed in historical anecdotes carefully chosen to prop up this restricted viewpoint. How telling is this look to the past--the history of economic/cultural repression justified by "that's just how things are" to keep us frozen in an eternal profit-loss margin continually favoring a fortunate wealthy few, a trade of a few shekels for the souls of the American people, using historical merit to maintain this obvious lie. Since the historical evidence is overwhelmingly against this worldview, such support from the past must be treated as an article of faith. Anyone who uses this faith to justify the violent treatment of people based on color, gender, status or income is someone who has a vested interest in maintaining this violence--be the cost physical, emotional, economic, social, or cultural--to keep the tears and blood flowing for their personal benefit alone.
It never ceases to amaze me how Conservatives condemn socialism, yet the conservative answer to every issue, political, social and cultural, is to beat us all over the head with the economy and ram it down our throats. Money is the go-to weapon, the default stance of the GOP. Money must flow from our hands into the hands of ultra-conservatives. In order to keep the money flowing into their coffers, conservatives must lie, cheat, steal and wage wars, with overt applause from their closet fascitti supporters--all the while sneering at Liberals for being "unrealistic."
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
In case we haven't figured it out yet, the NRA wants to kill us all. After the recent shooting in a Colorado Wal-Mart, police then reviewed the store videos to see what the killer did while in the store. But the police discovered several people in the Wal-Mart drew their own guns at the sound of gunshots. So the police had to track each gun handler one by one to determine who was the true killer; wasting valuable time and effort to conduct their investigation. This result is deliberate; this is what our paranoid NRA is after, a cloud of confusion to frustrate all efforts to prosecute killers who use firearms of any kind to slaughter women and/or people of color. The more guns in use, the more difficult it is to bring murderers to justice. If everyone is armed, all can act with impunity. For the NRA, any gun is a ticket marked "get out of jail free." No longer subject to the rule of law – justice and due process superseded by a sacrosanct 2nd amendment – potential killers now freely roam the USA, putting all of us in danger; a danger we cannot alleviate by simply adding more guns. The use and possession of firearms must be regulated and subject to law to protect us all from the insanity of "peace by the biggest gun."
Sunday, July 2, 2017
Bobby Cramer : 'Kasky began a group text with a few friends that has since ballooned to include as many as 19 participants. Someone bui...
From Indivisible.org, how big data is being used for voter suppression--and how inept the oppressors are with sensitive information: On...
So much criticism of Liberalism posits that the idea of social and cultural progress at the expense of tradition is balloon-juice at best, h...