Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Riddle of John Lewis Cutler

Doing research on the Center Cemetery in Farmington is made easier by the fact it's practically in my front yard. So while compiling the data of names and dates, I frequently trot out onto the cemetery grounds to survey the headstones and double-check the info on the headstones (bless my digital camera!).

And every time I pass by the Butler family plot (Francis Gould Butler et al) I would pass by a small headstone propped up in the corner of the family plot. I knew it didn't belong there, but I kept telling myself, "later."
Butler family plot with odd gravestone
So then the other night I stopped on my way back from double-checking some inscriptions and read the wayward headstone. Wayward is right: "John Lewis Cutler." I went, what the heck? There are no Cutlers buried in Center Cemetery.
John Lewis Cutler--and no dates

To make it worse, there are no dates carved on the stone--just the name. So I'll check the cemetery records at the town Library--the Cutler Library, and see what I can find and where this wayward son belongs.

1 comment:

  1. So my wife and I checked out Riverside Cemetery where the Cutler family plot is. We found a family plot for the Cutler's, and the patriarch, Nathan Cutler was there--but no John Lewis Cutler. So there must be another family plot in Riverside Cemetery, but where? Riverside is HUGE. So I'll have to take another tack. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts for the Day 20240304

Let's not mince words this terrible day:  the Supreme Court rolled out the red carpet for Donald Trump,  bowing and motioning him to wal...