Monday, January 17, 2011

Not just for kodak moments...

I'm really coming to appreciate the utility of digital cameras. My daughter bought a wonderful Samsung L200 for me two years ago. Through it I came to appreciate it's use not just for fine photography, but for documenting as well.

It makes an excellent tool for "To-Do" lists and reminders for events. I see something I need to do, like a full laundry hamper, and take a picture of it. As I go through the day I review the pictures and go, "Ah-HA--I need to do laundry," and start filling the clothes washer.

But here in Maine-land, it gets damn cold; I don't want to risk my (beloved) L200. So I bought a cheap Vivitar ViviCam 25 to carry around instead. So if it freezes, no big loss. Plus, it uses 3 AAA batteries, so I don't have to worry about recharging it, and can change batteries "on the fly."

I'm coming to realize that information is information; not just the information encoded in the digital image, but also the "meta-data," as it were, that goes with the image. I find I recall the full meaning and import of the image better than a scribbled note. And if the picture is a little blurry, I still recall what it is and what it means--the quality of the image doesn't affect the information it carries.

This has also helped me become less of a fussy perfectionist. "It doesn't have to be perfect," I mutter to myself, "just take the damn picture...!" Click. And when I review it later, it tells me everything I need to know. This has carried over into my art, my writing, and even my work. It doesn't have to be perfect; it just has to do the job. What parts of my Art have to be perfect, and what can be simply functional?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts for the Day 20240304

Let's not mince words this terrible day:  the Supreme Court rolled out the red carpet for Donald Trump,  bowing and motioning him to wal...